 CAD / LDraw Files / Ideas / 143
Re: Mlcad works for general modeling too!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.ideas, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:28:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.ideas, Tore Eriksson writes:
Yes, that's pretty cool. When I moved, I modelled my new living-room in LDraw format to see how the furniture best
should be arranged.

I have also made a draft of a blueprint on a building project  in wood in LDraw format.

...but that will be finished when I get the time... :/

And I was seriously considering recomending LDraw over Autocad to a friend
of mine.

And It was precisly what L-Draw could be used for other than Lego(R) was why
I found Lugnet :-)))!

L-Draw could be used for componentised CAD like kitchen or interior design
where there are fixed units. It's just a case of making the parts and
genrating an approptaite PARTS.LST... (Suppourt for differing Libraies would
be appreciated in ML-CAD)

However LDraw is lacking in some areas namely:
  Interface is less visul than could be (OK SO MLCAD solves some of this.)
  No suppourt for curves or curved surfaces natively.
  No Text postioning.
  No Texture Mapping ( Altohugh Leocad does suppourt ti and imports LCAD .DAT)

Propose New Meta command for postioned text.
where <x y z> is the corddinate of the top left of the text.
      <Pt size> is the point size the text is to be diusplayed in.
diaply of the text.
      <messsage> is the text to display..

Also propose that curves and curved surfaces be specifed using the follwing
scheme.
0 START BEZIER. - Start a bezer curve of surface.
6 <x y z> <size> - New line type 6-Point. <Size> is the size of the point
in  LDU if nto specifed assume a Bezeir control point..
0 END BEZIER. - END a description of a bezier curve or surface..

Of course I think the follwign line type would be extremly useful anyway in
any new revised LCAD standard.

6 <x y z>  Single point. Drawn in current color. If used inside bezzier
commands not shown.
7 <x y z> <x2 y2 z2> <Filename>. - Texture Map, The two sets of cordinates
specify the top right and bottom left of the the areainto whi the image
contained in filename is mapped. Supported formats shall depend on the
Platform but JPEG shall be supported on all platforms.

8 <x1 y1 z1> <x2 y2 z2> <r> - Circular Arc between the two cordinates
specifed. Assumes that they lie on the circumference of a circle whose
radius is <r>.

9  <x1 y1 z1> <x2 y2 z2> <r> - Solid circular Sector- paramaters simmilar
to  line type 8. But will back fill to centere of circle..

10  <x y z> <a b c> - Specify a rotational center for parts specifed since
last Rotational center.- <a b c> Spcify limits on the rotation.

0 LINK <url> Shall cause the bricks specfied since the last 0 LINK or
begging of file to link to another model of HTML page specfied in <url>

0 ADDITONAL <url> Shall cause the brick specfied since the last 0 LINK,0
ADDITONAL to when double cliked in view mode diaply a text file containing
additonal information on the part of model...

I think the adition of these features to LCAD modellers and viewers (Call
the standrad LCAD02?) would make LCAD comparable at least to other
freewrae/GPL Cad systems..

Comments?

And if anyone has made any non Lego(R) Libraries I'd like to know :-)

Alex

/Tore

calvinwalton wrote:

Using Mlcad, I put together this little "Micromacines" type car.

-- Calvin Walton

0 Untitled
0 Name: Car.dat
0 Author: MLCad