 CAD / 8881
8880  |  8882
Subject:
Graspable User Interfaces - 'Bricks' in CHI'95
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:51:47 GMT

Old news but I just found it yesterday: 'Bricks' in CHI'95

Researchers at NTT and U-Toronto try physical markers on a desk as graspable
user interfaces. (With help from Modulex.)

The 'Bricks' are little cubes on a desk, and their positions are tracked in
the computer.

One of the tests: see how long it takes to sort a pile of Lego bricks on
screen, using only a mouse, and using the new 'Bricks' markers. The
advantage of the Bricks is that a user can move two at a time.

Another proposed use is manipulating spline curves in a modeling app.

The 'Bricks' have several implementations: one requires a camera to track
where the user moves the Bricks. Another uses 'Flock of Birds' to track the
position of two Bricks.

Read the paper for yourself:

http://www.billbuxton.com/bricks.html
PDF http://tangible.media.mit.edu/papers/Bricks_CHI95/bricks-chi95.pdf

---

Now imagine a pair of Bricks and an LDRAW application. Imagine the right
Brick is always bound to the last piece added to the model, and you can move
the piece by moving the Brick. The left Brick could be assigned to any other
piece or place in the model by a mouse-click, and you would be able to
manipulate the pair of pieces physically.

Other actions are imaginable: tapping the Brick on the desk might duplicate
the piece, shaking the Brick could attach it to a different nearby piece.

Bricks seem like multiple mice.

Way back when I was playing with light guns (1987), I imagined uses for two
or three light pens on your fingertips. This was back in the days of
joysticks, before mice, so it seemed like a good way to indicate the
endpoints of a line on the screen, or specify a circle. These tasks are
still annoying with a mouse, because (as the paper says) the actions are
sequential: you select one point, then go on to the next without the chance
to fix the first one except by starting over.

-Erik
(posted to .cad because I can't figure out where 'crazy computer ideas using
bits of Lego' goes.)