 CAD / 862
Re: Mega Assault Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 01:21:10 GMT

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:25:22 GMT, "onyx" <onyx@flash.net> wrote:

Terry Keller writes:

This is a way cool vehicle.  Especially when POV rendered.

-- Terry K --

wow!

now THAT is a compliment... it's definitely a benchmark day in my lego life
when i get a compliment on design from Terry K!!!..

Well, I went over to download your latest update, and saw that menacing
vehicle. Then I was about to ask why you hadn't told anyone about it - then
noticed the posting of the dat file.  So my first sight of it was the POV
rendering.  Which is a good way to be introduced to a model. :-)
Viewing it first in ldraw/ldlite doesn't really give a person a good idea of
what the model really looks like.

i guess i should have pointed out a few more details when i did the original
post...

it has 4-wheel steering, via a slightly different setup than normal... i didn't
want a big wheel or gear laying horizontal on the top.. i had already finished
the design and nowhere on top would anything like that look good.. so instead i
used a vertically-mounted gear that gets translated down via other gears to the
rack and pinion... so you roll the two big gears (near the front-top) forward
or backward to initiate steering.. that was probably the most difficult part..
funny thing is, the whole thing started with the big gun... the truck was just
a platform to carry that gun on... and the gun started with the cross-mesh of
technic half-beams... i just wanted something that looked structurally
complicated and rude... one of the cross-mesh beams is supposed to entend
out and have a trans-blue small radar dish at the end (right in front of the
face of the minifig who sits in the gun chair, for use as his targeting
viewscreen)... but i'll have to wait for the 1x7 technic half beam for that....

I noticed your interesting twist on steering gearing while drawing it. It looks
like a good solution to me.  And the above description of your creative process
sounds a lot like how I work....  Start with a cool idea and build a structure
around it.  :-)

thanks again ter!

Thank you for a cool model.  Now go make the large Technic shock.  <g>

-- Terry K --