 CAD / 8098
8097  |  8099
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: What about improving the models dir?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:19:38 GMT

About the Models dir, we already have everything that is required to organize it as we like it with subdirs.

Explaining:
We can put every model in it's own dir.
But then software would know that we have a new model, right ?
Só we just have to inform them !
how ?
Just create a Soft Link in the Models directory, if you are running some *NIX flavor. If Not, just create a file like the following example in the models directory

Create a file with the same name as the model (ex:Marauder), with the follwing content

0 Marauder (Link File)
1 0  0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1 Marauder\Marauder.DAT

Know, every program will know there is a new Model (Marauder)
Note: you can copy all the header info into the link file if the program uses it.

Continued bellow ...

In lugnet.cad, Eduardo Vazquez Harte writes:
In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson writes:
[...SNIP...]

And another thing we need is
to tell MLCAD where we store our models if we are going to use
it from a cd.

That's a little complicated I guess. For ages, we've just had the obsolete
LDRAWDIR environment string and the BaseDir key in Ldraw.ini. As far as I
understand, this calls for a ModelsDir key too or something like that, and a
lot of software updating...

Obsolete ?
You must have been using The Registry too Much :)

A practical Solution, is to force the EnvVar LDRAWDIR or nay other required, before running the program.

This can be done with a batch file, which does the following
- Sets Environment Vars
- Runs Program
- Recover previous Environment Vars values (maybe use a new shell)

If someone wants to, it can run the program directly, and it will use the environment variables locally defined, meanning it will access the files in your hardrive.

But a few thinks have to be taken care of:
- Support different Drive letters for CDROM drive, maybe use a "CDROMDRIVE" environment variable, which should be defined by user.
- Software must support opening files in ReadOnly Mode (CD is ReadOnly)

See ya
   Rui Martins