 CAD / 725
Re: I just can't run LDLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:20:47 GMT

Well, I don't know what criteria Windows 98 uses to dump memory blocks
to the swap file, but it seems to me that the memory you are asking
cannot be swapped to disk.
Is even stranger because I'm 100% sure it reports an out of memory
problem without even trying to allocate it, since the swap file remains
at it's minimum.

In my personal experience, something that sometimes run and sometimes
don't in the same machine without any changes, is NOT A DLL or other
component problem ---> It's the programmer's fault.

I'd recommend you take a good look at your source code and the
documentation about the memory allocation functions, and present
yourself the challenge of making a new version with dynamic memory
allocation. :-)

I hope I'm not offending you. LDLite is such a nice program (that's why
I'm mad for not be able to run it) and I'm a C++ programmer myself and I
know things are not as easy as people think.
I understand your situation (really), but my experience is saying that's
a memory allocation problem due to the way you allocate the memory.
I know Visual C++ so if you need any help, please contact me. :-)

And sorry the English...

PS: By the way, when LDLite exits when starting it doesn't create a LOG
file.

Laurentino Martins

[mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]

Paul Gyugyi wrote:

Sorry about your problems.  LDLite statically allocates most of its memory,
and currently uses about 60 MB of ram for caches and data.
Please run ldlite with debugging output.  From the shell prompt,
use the command "ldlite -g -l car.dat" and send me the file "ldlite.log"
that is created.  Please also tell me the specific language and version
of Windows.  It is likely an OS or DLL problem.
-gyug

Laurentino Martins wrote:

I have a P100 with 80MB of RAM.
Only one in 5 tries I manage to run LDLite without exiting in the moment
it starts, and not even once I managed to load a model without a Fatal
out of memory error.
The last version had this problems also, but it run once in a while.

In my personal programmer experience, it must be doing something that
corrupts the memory since lack of it is not the problem - the program
not even stretches the swap file!
Other problem might be incompatibility between the DLLs/OCXs/controls
the operative system uses and the ones it expects to see.
My best guess is that it must have something to do with a pre-allocated
memory block that overflows, like a string that is assigned a text
larger than it can handle.