 CAD / 6311
Re: My highly unofficial version of Datsville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 06:28:39 GMT

I can e-mail you the 236a.dat and  236b.dat if you want them.

Gary

Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> wrote in message
The official version of Datsville is at: • http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/1864/datsville.html
I have no intention to takeover!

With that being said, I like some input on my attempt to reorganize the • Datsville files.
http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/datsvill/rev04.zip (224 Kb)
I have spent my whole weekend working with them, and I'm still not 100% • satisfied. But I find them a lot more organized
now.

I have done the following renaming:
Town* are left as is - it's a good system when you get used with it.

First letter is category.
_ = sub-model
B = Building (often with some landscape)
M = Minifig
O = Other
R = Railroad related (track, train, but not train station)
T = Town Layout
V = Vehicle (car, bas, boat, but not train)

Second and third letter is author's initials.
Two underscores where author is unknown.

The remaining five letters is an attempt to make an as understandable as • possible description.

The hardest part was to understand and file the hierarchy of all files. • Now all files (except Town.dat) should have a
line:
0 Parent: <parent.file(s)>
It is IMHO a tremendous help while rearranging the files.

For the referens, it is also good to know the original, "official" • Datville filename. For example:
0 Name: Baihous1.dat
0 Was: Tanders.dat

I have also inlined a lot of sub-models, until I realized that inlining is • not always for the best.
I wish to be able to edit all files in Notepad, which is not possible at • present. First I inlined the cricket field into
one file, but then decided to leave two sub-files. And I regret I inlined • the whole supermarket.

Some time I wish to extract the cars and the minifigs from their model • files for animation purposes, but that is not my
current thing to do. So I added "0 EXTRACT" before some of them. Hope this • pseudo-meta-command dosn't mess up any
renderer...

So you see, I have poked around a lot in all your files. Hope you don't • mind.

Btw, I miss three files: 236a.dat, 236b.dat, and 3039p01.dat.
Anyone..?

LMKWYT,
/Tore