 CAD / 6170
Re: My first animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:00:52 GMT

"blessing" <blessing@icefog.net> writes:

(although I can't make a GIF)

Why not?  For an animation with a limited number of colours, sharp
contrasts and a few number of frames, the animated GIF format is
probably the best.  Making an animation which repeats itself is also
easy.  Also, with the animated GIF format, the animation is (usually)
viewed from the moment the first frame is downloaded.  With your 8MB
AVI file, I had to download it all before starting to view it.  You
should be able to find heaps of free programs which convert to
animated GIF format if you do a search.

You may worry about the UNISYS patent problem with the GIF format, but
if so, try the MNG format in stead.

I would recommend that you write a few words about your animation when
you present one the next time.  If you had written something like
"This is an 8 MB animation showing an image of four bricks in which
the colours flash", people could consider whether or not to download
it, rather than having to download it all to see what it was.

Fredrik