 CAD / 5466
Re: Let's be realistc (WasRe:MoreVenomAnyone? (WasRe:Givethemabreak (was:Hey,like,isanyonethere?)))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:04:26 GMT

Well, not being under an NDA (and TLC knows my opinons have never
been so subtle that they had to have me over to breakfast to
know what I was thinking), there are some obvious things.

They need to find a way to squash LDRAW
and the DAT format before some other company gets the rights
to it.  TLC would never buy it; there would be too many legal
risks to using it. They need to obsolete it, so hopes of any
official programs using it are unlikely, just for common sense
business legal reasons.  They need an embrace-and-smother
approach: invite people in as consultants, give them enough
proprietary info that other companies would risk too much
to consult with them, etc. Let LDRAW live on in a neutralized
way.

I have my doubts about the do-it-yourself designs.  Few people
design for the size and parts count typical of LEGO sets,
and are not designed with "play features" as much.  You could
tell that many old sets had undergone a year of play testing
before being released.  That's not happening now, although the
arctic sets seem to have a good feel to them.  TLC is dumping
a lot of money into theme-branding.  Instead of X million to
design some sets, they spend half that much, and then spend
three times that on parallel developments: games, backstory,
etc. (but no comic books or cartoon series???).  Net result
looks like a large increase in R&D, but the expendature on the
sets is actually less. BTW, I am making these numbers up.

I think the real financial lure is to let kids turn their
models into official looking sets, with instructions and
packaging.  Hence the need to secure the look and feel rights
for all electronic instruction sheet IP.

-gyug

In lugnet.general, Don Heyse writes:
So is that what the "CAD summit" is all about?  I too wish they would
just come out and say it.  Everyone on the lugnet.cad groups seem to
have been censored by NDAs