 CAD / 5426
Re: LCAD for Risc-OS (was LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 00:16:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Alex Farlie writes:
[snip - lots of stuff]
The reason I was suggesting a spec. was that I was considering a port of
LDraw to the RISC-OS system (currently V4 altough my ref platform is RO3).
No doubt given the speed an ARM chip runs at I could probably put in (given
time) proper render capability as well. I am seriously considering ditiching
the current DOS version.. once the full parts lib is avialable sperately...

I really thnk there SHOULD be an LDraw version for it.... Anbody got C code?

Ldglite is distributed as C source code and requires either OpenGL or Mesa.
There is information on Mesa for Risc-OS here:

http://www-solar.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~davidb/Mesa/

Thanks! I am sure it will compile in GNU C for RISC OS? (If that has an RO3
lib rather than an RO3.7 or RO4 lib--- I use RO under Archie an emulator :-) )
Installation should be similar to the "ldglite for linux" instructions
in the Reference section on ldraw.org

Of coure if I was better at RO programming I'd porbably write an Obey file
to do the whole compile and build... :-)

http://www.ldraw.org/reference/linux.html

I can probably help if you have any trouble.

If it uses Mesa and standard C/C++ it should not be too dificult to
compile and run on RO... Problem area is in tweaking the non Mesa UI calls
to be RO relevant ones... Hmmm...  Output of course wouldn't be windows
bitmap but RO Sprite or preferably Draw... Again not difficult in C...

(There is then the minor point of after having ported the L-CAD of porting
other favoured tools as well... Such AS MLCAD... and then  Mindstorms and NQC!
(The Arc did have a podule slot that allowed a BBC Micro style user port but
I'm not sure about the RIsc PC...)

But i'll try the ldglite apprach you mention... IIRC having just looked at
the instruction file it includes the URL for the sources.. Whether an Arxc
emulator can read .gz is a different matter? (!Sparkplug?)..

Looking into the LDraw on Risc-OS issue now.... Thanks!!

Alex

Have fun,

Don