 CAD / 4897
4896  |  4898
Subject:
sample animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:29:08 GMT

For a long time now I have been wanting to do an animation of a camera
moving through a Lego model.  I finally finished my first test case.  This
was modeled with MLCad.  First I created 36 modules that were 8x8 studs
each, 28 turns, and 8 straights. I arranged them in a 6x6 grid.  These were
just simple segments made up from my imagination.  Then in another sub-model
I placed 1x1 round studs along the camera path.  I added the pieces in the
order that the camera should follow them.  Then I clipped the camera path
out of the MPD file and used a text editor to extract just the block
coordinates.  I used this list as parameters to a POV macro that created a
cubic spline path.  This was used with the clock variable in POV to move the
camera.  I converted the model to a POV file, without the camera path
section.  The final animation was rendered at a resolution compatible with
VCD which I intend to move it to later.  I used DTA (Daves Targa Animator)
to convert the BMP files to an AVI file.  Then I used a program called
avi2mpg to make the final MPeg movie.  The POV render was done without
anti-alising because I thought there was so much noise introduced by the
video compression that it wouldnt matter.  I hope you like it.  My 5 year
old son says it looks like Lego Land.

You can find the file here:
http://www.he.net/~chucks/anim.m1v
Be warned that this is an 80- second animation and is about 12MB.

-Chuck