 CAD / 2999
LDraw-mode news: Bezier curve tool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 19:06:45 GMT

I've made some enhancements to LDraw-mode, the program can now be used
to model most kinds of flexible hoses with Bezier curves.

LDraw-mode is a major mode for editing LDraw DAT files in Emacs.  Emacs
is available for free for most platforms.  I've tested this under
Windows 95 and Linux.

This is not designed to compete with John VanZwieten's hoser program.
In fact, I don't even know how John's program works, as I don't have
Excel.

With my program, you can insert hoses composed with Bezier curves
without ever leaving your editor.  If you're using Emacs as an editor in
the first place, obviously.

To insert a curve, you simply state the coordinates of the end points
and indicate the desired angle of the curve at the end points.  You also
specify the desired total length of the curved hose, and LDraw-mode fits
a curve which follows these constraints.

There is a more thorough description of the Bezier tool at

   http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw-mode/bezier-curve/

I've also included a tutorial/example which demonstrates how to model a
curved Technic Flex-system hose.

There is more info on LDraw-mode in general at

   http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw-mode/

What do you think?  Is this as all useful?

Fredrik