 CAD / 2954
FAQqage: How to get zero perspective from L3P?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.faq
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:46:42 GMT

I think that's the right question.  I'm trying to get L3P to give me zero
skewing from perspective; I want an isometric view such as what LDraw gives
me.  I'm taking the approach that to do this in photography, you should get
real far back and zoom in.

So, I *think* it has to do with the radius field of the camera globe (-cg)
parameter; e.g. "p3" from:

-cg(p1),(p2)(p3)

...but when I try really high (~1000) or really low (~-1000) values, the
model renders into something really really small.  Values closer to zero
(~+-100) make a bigger image, but there's still some perspective.

Is there something I can hack inside the .POV file?

(*hack* *hack* *hack*)

Yes, there is.  I ran L3P with the -cg radius set to a really large number
(far from zero; I used 1000), and then I edited the .POV file, changing the
camera->angle (1) from 67.1234 to 5, effectively zooming in.  This value
tells POV-Ray how wide in degrees the viewport is, so a smaller number will
make stuff look larger.

I'll throw out some example code.

From the command prompt:

C:\LDRAW\MODELS>l3p -o -cg30,45,1000 somedat.dat

, which gives you the file SOMEDAT.POV .  Editing this file, the camera
object looks something like this:

// Camera (Latitude,Longitude,Radius = 30,45,1000)
camera {
// some stuff here
angle    67.3801
// some more stuff here
}

So, modify the angle value to something smaller:

angle    5

If you render a large picture from this, you'll still see some perspective.
I don't think you can completely get rid of it, but using a progressively
higher camera globe radius and a lower viewing angle will cause the effect
to become smaller and smaller.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  :-P How does one note member attributes for POV-Ray objects?!?

"I've spent the past few years building up an immunity to bullets."
- Angus McGuire