 CAD / 2461
Re: LCadville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 21:01:19 GMT

Jeff Stembel <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote in message
news:FHEF7E.5Ew@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.cad.dat.models, John VanZwieten writes:
And so LCadville is born!  See
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/1864/lcadville.html for its • humble
beginnings.

Yaaay!!  My house is First to break ground!!  :)  Too bad my last name is
spelled wrong (Stembel, not Stemble) and the link is to Jeff Boen's spoof • House
with porsche.  :)

D'oh!  I'll make the changes.

The idea is this:

Anyone who designs a town building and models it in LDraw can have their • own
plot in LCadville.  After a .dat file is posted to lugnet.cad.dat.models, I
will periodically add it to the town layout and run a new POV scene. • Requests
for specific placement will be honored to the extent I can.

Maybe every once in a while, building placements can be changed to more • logical
positions (i.e. zoning) if need be.

I'm going to attempt zoning from the start, but I imagine it will have to be
reconfigured at some point.  I also plan on changing the view angle frequently
to highlight different areas.

Keep in mind that LCadville is a smallish town at this point, so no
skyscrapers need apply.

Anyone who submits a house may also submit a vehicle for their driveway.

Buildings should be submitted without a baseplate, but landscaping is • welcome.

I'll be working on a way to identify the owners of individual buildings in • the
town.

So let's see those town buildings coming!  In addition to houses, LCadville • is
in need of all the basic buildings a town requires, i.e. city hall, general
store, school, bank, post office, etc.

I've started work on a shopping center modeled after the Woodmoor Shopping
Center near where I live.  I also have plans to make some more houses using
details from houses near me.

Can't wait to see them!

Do you want us to make buildings with all walls?  Or is it okay to leave off
the walls that allow for interior accessability?

It's perfectly OK to allow for accessability, and to include interior details.
I will position the buildings so that missing walls point away from the
streets.  Part of my vision for LCadville is that someone wanting ideas for
their own Lego town could view LCadville and download the .dat file and/or
building instructions to individual buildings/cars, etc.

Jeff

P.S.  I'll modify my house slightly to include some of the features I left • off
in the version I posted.

Cool.  Just mention in the post that it's an update.

Oh, something else.  It would help if modelers use y=0 as the bottom of their
buildings, so that I don't have to adjust the buildings up or down to place
them.  If your file uses something else, don't worry about changing it, but
for subsequent buildings it would be nice.

-John Van