 CAD / 1824
Re: povray! still cant figure out. (ok im semicomputer illiterate!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 06:12:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Thomas Burger writes:
ok i got povray and l3p

i rendered my first model, and it came out blurry, is it the -q options or
render options in povray.

the other thing is i cand figure out how to get pov files.
for instance my dos says
D:\ldraw\LDRAW>l3p (options) -q<3> models\(dat file)  (pov file to render)
(options)
is this right??
it comes up saying model not found.

You need to be waaay more informative about the output there. I wouldn't even
mess with the "-q3" option until you've really got the camera position nailed.

For example, on a model I recently rendered, with the "-q1" setting, it parsed
in 10 seconds, and rendered about as fast. That way, I get a general idea where
the model will be in the frame.

With the "-q3" setting, the same exact model took 9 minutes! to parse, then a
couple more to render. (This on a P2)

I'll try to be a little helpful though, based on your text.

#1. When something is listed in some command line instructions as <option> or
whatever, don't type the "<" or ">" characters.

That explains the model not being found. Just change the "-q<3>" to plain "-q3"
and it will work.

#2. Here's something else: Your line was "D:ldraw/LDRAW/l3p .... models/(dat
file) L3P automatically will look in Ldraw's model directory. If you typed it
as above, again you will get a model not found. (unless you have a nested
models directory in the ldraw\models directory). So if this is the case, leave
out the "models\" part in the command.

Now, the actual ".pov" file will be located wherever you call it from. Call it
in l3p\ - it's in l3p\. Type d:\lego\l3p ... - and it's in d:\lego\.

Your image is blurry. You got me there. That could be the "q" setting in l3p.
IMHO you shouldn't mess with the "q" setting that often. On a large model, the
little "lego" on the studs just takes more time to render for what? On a
smaller model, sure, do the "-q3" for a final render.

If your pretty good a POV, you can mess with the camera's focal length, but
straight l3p won't do that. Also, maybe your perception is like mine. Some of
l3p's colors don't seem real. The Black for instance, looks soft, not as hard
as a black lego is.