 CAD / 18
Re: Creating new parts for LDraw/LeoCAD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:49:14 GMT

Once upon a time, "Irregular Shed" <shed-at-iname-dot-com@com> wrote:

Basically... how the hell do you go about it? I'm more into LeoCAD than
LDraw - I like a user-interface - but I figure that you can call up
standard studs and things like that. But how?

I don't remember if anyone has written a tutorial on this; it seems
like there's been *something*, but I don't remember now.

Anyway, here are a few things you'll probably want to be aware of:

1. Don't be too dependant on LEdit.  When creating parts, you spend
most of your time in a text editor or spreadsheet program.  I use
LDAO's editor (not surprising, since I wrote it), see
<http://home.att.net/%7Eblisses/ldaddon.html>.  When authoring parts,
I usually only use LEdit to rotate sub-sections.
2. Become very, very familiar with the LDraw FAQ,
<http://fys.ku.dk/%7Esparre/LEGO/Værktøj/LDraw-FAQ.html>.  Especially
the parts about the line-commands.
3. Learn about the primitives in the ldraw/p/ directory.  A very good
reference for this is online, but I don't have a reference to it right
now.
4. Study existing parts.  Start simple, like with 3005.dat (brick
1x1).  Open the file in a text editor, and check out what's in there.

Basically, to create a part-file, all you do is figure out the
positions of all of the corners of the part, then draw the lines and
sides that connect those points.

Steve