 CAD / 17870
Re: I want to put .dat files into SolidWorks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 06:13:58 GMT

The modeling strategies for Solidworks and LDraw are fundamentally different:
LDraw is based on triangle meshes, and Solidworks is based on constructive solid
geometry.  Going from CSG to mesh is easy, but going the other way requires some
AI guesswork, and probably human input too.

LDraw does have various primitives which could help the converter do more than
spit out triangles, but I don't think anyone has written conversion software
that uses that data.

So for the time being, any geometry you bring in to Solidworks from LDraw,
regardless of the format, will just be a mesh of triangles.  You may be able to
mate it, or use the vertices as reference points, but it won't be pretty with
edge lines turned on.

--Bram

Bram-

Thank you very much for your explanation.  I had only a vague comprehension of
this concept, & you helped solidify it.  (No pun intended!)

Well, 3DWin is *supposed* to be able to take .DAT files & make .IGS files out of
them.  http://www.tb-software.com/products_2.html

I haven't yet been able to make a good .IGS file that SolidWorks 2009 has been
able to import.  And, when I take a .SLDPRT file, export it as .IGS, & then
import it back into SW, I've lost the individual construction features in the
feature tree, but all of the geometry on the part (faces, lines, vertecies) is
selectable & usable for mates & further edits & such.

Thus, I concluded that 3DWin should be that conversion software that performs
this task.  I've got a help request in to the developer, but I haven't heard
back yet.

Thanks,
-Jason