 CAD / 17747
    My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Eric Albrecht
   For various reasons, I've been attempting to extract a vector line drawing of a large LDraw model. On the surface, this would seem simple (which is always the case for the hardest projects). LDraw itself is a vector format. Each edge line is defined (...) (13 years ago, 23-May-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Roland Melkert
   (...) <snip> (...) I'm not sure I 100% understand your goal(s), but I think what you need is: All white shading with all black edges. This way the (OpenGL) 'Z-Buffer' does all the hard work for you. Maybe travis could implement it in LDView, (or (...) (13 years ago, 23-May-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Eric Albrecht
   (...) You are right that I can approximate it simply by making all the parts white (as shown). However, shaded white is not really white. Every angle of white reflecting to the camera is actually a different shade of gray. I really want no shading (...) (13 years ago, 23-May-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Roland Melkert
   (...) Have you tried disabling lighting? (...) I don't know any ether, I'm sorry. roland (13 years ago, 24-May-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Eric Albrecht
   (...) Wow do I feel stupid. No, I hadn't tried that, and it works perfectly. It's still not a vector image, but at least it gets me to a good raster image in one step instead of five. It is a bit counter-intuitive to me that the way to get a good (...) (13 years ago, 24-May-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Travis Cobbs
     The "Show Edges Only" feature in LDView is intended to be used with Wireframe disabled. I believe it does exactly what you want in combination with "Black Edges": (URL) Note that the image above was saved with the "Transparent Background" check box (...) (13 years ago, 24-May-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

         Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Don Heyse
     (...) Hey, this is interesting. Is it actually just drawing the visible lines in some final rendering stage? Or is there more going on there with the Stencil and/or Depth buffer? (13 years ago, 24-May-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

         Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Travis Cobbs
     (...) (FUT lugnet.cad.dev) I draw everything but the edge lines with glColorMask() set to all false. This updates the depth buffer, but doesn't update the color buffer. Edge lines are drawn with a standard glColorMask(). --Travis (13 years ago, 25-May-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Bram Lambrecht
     (...) See this thread: (URL) Maybe outputting only lines could give much smaller file sizes. Then you could live paint in Illustrator to consolidate faces. --Bram (13 years ago, 24-May-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Travis Cobbs
     In lugnet.cad, Eric Albrecht wrote: ... (...) You don't need to disable primitive substitution; just uncheck "Texture Studs" in the "Primitive Substitution" box. (If you follow my instructions from my other post, the stud logo isn't present, and (...) (13 years ago, 24-May-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Reuben Pearse
   (...) I've been experimenting with generating these type of images for quite a while and so far come up a number of techniques. These are as follows: 1) Convert MLCAD model to DXF file using Rolf Redford's LdrDat2Dxf. Then use PoseRay to create a (...) (13 years ago, 29-May-11, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Jaco van der Molen
   (...) I printed the pirate minifig on my laserprinter at work and it looks perfect. Ready to use as a coloring picture for the kids! Jaco (13 years ago, 30-May-11, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: My attempts to get a vector line drawing —Reuben Pearse
   (...) Great, glad you like them! There are more colouring pictures here: (URL) some phonics worksheets and a maths worksheet. (URL) 3D Lego models and other resources from: (URL) (13 years ago, 30-May-11, to lugnet.cad)