 CAD / 17533
17532  |  17534
Subject:
Sub-Parting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:35:36 GMT

Making sub-parts is a very good method to keep file sizes down when large
portions of code can be used twice or more times in the same part or in several
parts.

But my question is, how small can this code snippet be before it's better to not
sub-part? Of course, it comes down to how many times that sub-part is used. A
relatively small portion, just three or four lines, that is repeated 50 times in
just one file is ok to have in a separate sub-part.

The tendency is very in the direction of more sub-parts is very strong as I can
see.
In the latest Parts Update (LCad1003), there are 121 sub-files in 605 "real"
part files. That gives a ratio of exactly 1:5.
Among the unofficial files in the PT, there are 829 sub-files compared to 1897
"real" part files. That gives a ratio of 1:2.29.
One explaination may be that most parts LDrawn today are so complicated that
there is an obvious gain in re-using large portions of code two or more times.

But maybe there is another explaination, too? These five sub-parts from the
latest update are only used once in one single part file, and none in previous
parts or in the PT:
2332s01.dat   2684 New 2332.dat     1 Inline ~Duplo Door Frame  2 x  4 x  3 with Raised Door Outline-Backside
3144s01.dat   1051 (N) 3144.dat     1 Inline ~Antenna 5H with Side Spokes - Base
3629pw2a.dat  1869 New 3629pw2.dat  1 Inline ~Minifig Hat Cowboy with Silver
Star Pattern - Silver Detail
3736c.dat    22468 Old 3736.dat     1 Inline ~Technic Pulley Wheel 5D Center
63082s01.dat  1277 New 63082.dat    1 Inline ~Plate  2 x  2 with Towball Socket
and Axlehole - Plate

What's the point of creating such sub-parts? None, if I'm not missing anything
here.
Also, those files with just a few kB used only twice, for a left and right half
of one part or a left and a right version of a part - is there no lower limit
how small these portions can be and still a sub-part is justified?

/Tore