 CAD / 16517
Re: Filling closed shapes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:12:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   Hi Santeri,

   Hi all - I’ve been working on the life counter part, which is a patterned version of the sprocket wheel. I then managed to make the flat pattern and did a projection of the pattern on the 3d former, only to find this 3d pattern contain numerous gaps and rougly 80 warped quads,- even worse, when I split these warped quads there then were TONS of new tiny gaps, making the part look horrible. Not to mention I made the pattern too small. :-(

Size doesn’t look that bad !?
It’s a little too small to annoy me.. the picture on Peeron seems like a misprint to me.

   My problem probably was that I had made the fills in the pattern by making a plane quad covering the shape (made of lines), making a cutter file from the line shape and using Intersector on the quad, which isn’t the best way to go but it was the only one I saw. I was aware of the gaps, thinking that they were too small to really hinder the part’s quality. Additionally I used a non-triangle-condensing cut when gaps showed up and scaling factor didn’t work...

I don’t see why you needed to re-do the surface? Why not use the top shape of the part and flatten it? Or maybe there is something I missed?
I mean that I first get a particular shape in its outlines (like a bunch of lines forming a 2) and I need to make a flat quad that covers it all, extrude the outlines to get a cutter and intersect the shape out. It’s like making gingerbread men.

   So, now I plan to remake the pattern. And this time the right way. But first I’d need a proper technique to make the fill for the line shape. Anybody aware of something... ? Quad2Dat is out of the question because the background image feature doesn’t work at all here.
Why shouldn’t it work? Though Quad2Dat has a lot of issues, background image feature always worked fine for me. See the method I describe here...
I don’t know why shouldn’t it, but for some reason the background image always appears all black in the main window (though in the preview it seems fine) :-(

   That said, I agree that having to align all quads of the pattern on underlying surface can be a nightmare (especially considering the flimsiness of the “align” tool of Quad2Dat). So I have created a new tool, Slicerpro (slicer-projector) that not only projects the pattern on the former but also slices it along the edges of the former. In addition, it may also do small adjustments to vertices coordinates to make them match if previous rounding errors occured. So there should be less gaps...

I have not yet written the documentation, but if you want to try it, get it here: http://philohome.free.fr/xfer/Slicerpro.zip
Hmm... when I do the projection with Slicerpro the main gaps seem to go away. However (forgot to note), both Projector and Slicerpro leave some “legs” in the 3d pattern, like if some vertices were having bad Y-coordinates.

The picture in my first post has a projection done with a makeshift projector I whipped up.. it doesn’t leave any legs but has the gaps.

One solution I see would be to slice the pattern with Slicerpro and projecting with the makeshift projector. Slicerpro just leaves some gaps in the skull.. but not too many that I couldn’t do it manually.

   Philo

Now, is the pattern too small? IMHO there’s a little too much main-colored area.