 CAD / 16236
Suggestion: !TYPE line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 09:04:57 GMT

LEGO parts may vary in colour and pattern, but they are always of the same material. For example, there is no such thing as a Technic Axle 7 made of rubber or the Axle Flexible 7 that’s solid, is there?

Here I got an idea: have parts identify what material are they made of. There’d be a !TYPE Rubber line which would identify that the part is of rubber, like tires. Maybe also a !TYPE Soft-Plastic for parts like 50934 (though there’s a problem: only a half of the part is of soft plastic!) and so on.

The use? Maybe there’s more than this, but colouring at the very least. Future CAD programs could use the !TYPE line to find out what the part is made of, and thus would know what kind of colours use for it. Say, imagine this future program and you place tyre on a wheel and then click the black colour button to turn it black. The program would then note that it’s of rubber and make it colour 256 automatically!

A problem, though, is that there aren’t rubber variants for every colour. In the latest released ldconfig.ldr, there’s 256 (Rubber-Black), 273 (Rubber-Blue), 324 (Rubber-Red), 375 (Rubber-Gray) and 511 (Rubber-White). In the upcoming ldconfig.ldr there’s 405 (Rubber-Yellow), 406 (Rubber-Trans-Yellow) and 407 (Rubber-Trans-Clear) defined. In these cases where there’s no rubber version of the colour the real colour has to be used, then.