 CAD / 15127
Re: Which Lego Cad book do you recommend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:38:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Chris McNeil wrote:
Hello all

My names Chris and I'm brand new to the Lego modeling community. I've just
begun
with the LDraw software and editors like MLCad,Leocad, LDD and SD 3D but of
course am full of questions and a bit of frustration too.

I saw these two books mentioned via the LDraw.org site and they have both
recieved
excellent reviews on amazon.com.

Virtual LEGO: The Official LDraw.org Guide To LDraw Tools for Windows
and
LEGO Software Power Tools, With LDraw, MLCad, and LPub

I have both, and I would agree that both of them are excellent books.

But I wanted to ask if there was one more than the other that is best for
beginners. I'm
guessing not and they are both great.I could afford them both but would hate
to buy
effectively the same material twice, with different presentation.

If you buy both books, you would, in fact, be getting a lot of the same content.
I think either book would be fine for a beginner, but "Virtual LEGO" covers more
material since it is "the" official guide. So if you're interested in getting a
more thorough treatment of the LDraw world, I recommend "Virtual LEGO."

Just be aware that as a No Starch Press author, I am partial to other No Starch
books. :)

Also how relevant are both the books now as there comming up on 5 years old.
I'm thinking pretty relevant, but any tips or advice you all could provide
would be much appreciated.

Well...there is going to be a lot of helpful tips and information in these
books, but a lot has changed since they were written. In order to get the most
current information, you'll also have to do some reading on Ldraw.org.

Anyways thanks in advance. I hope this is the right group to ask questions
in. Lord knows I'll have allot.

~ Chris

Hope this helps!

- David