 CAD / 1470
Re: lugnet.cad.dat : How to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:45:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad, lau@mail.telepac.pt (Laurentino Martins) writes:
I wonder if I'm the only one that this happens, but it seems to me that
many of the posts in lugnet.cad.dat cannot be viewed correctly using
LDLite as a browser plugin.

OK guys, what's the trick to post DATs that WORK on lugnet.cad.dat?

The safest thing is to set your editor margins very wide -- like 200 or 300
characters -- before posting, then set them back to 76 or whatever you keep
them at.  It's also best to post them from an NNTP newsreader since the web
interface likes to wrap lines at 79 characters.

I think it would be best and safest all-around if the web interface to
lugnet.cad.dat used a file-upload feature instead of a text-area form box.
Additionally, lugnet.cad.dat should probably not accept messages via NNTP --
only via the web page, for maximum guarantee of correctness, since editors
in NNTP newsreaders often do line-wrapping and it's easy to forget (or not
know how) to set the margins wider.

Some examples of stuff I would like to know:
1. Does it accept MIME attachments? If yes, how?

No lugnet.* groups accept MIME attachments.

If not, what I must do then?

Just post the content as ASCII.  Try to make your editor margins as wide as
possible.

2. Can I post MPDs?

Yes.

3. If a post is a part file and it uses other DATs, is there any good
way to post all DATs so they render correctly?

If the other DATs are library parts, you can just assume that people will
have them; no sense including 3004.DAT and every other brick, for example.

If they're mock-ups or special in some way, or if they're sub-assemblies,
then you can include them by posting the whole thing as an MPD or inlining
them with Jacob(?)'s inlining tool.

With respect to lugnet.cad.dat, there is no way to "link" two separate
articles together in an automatic way or to "include" DAT content from other
sources on-the-fly.

4. Any other tricks?

Always proof the final copy with the latest and greatest version of LDLITE
just prior to posting the content -- to make sure that it renders correctly
and that all the parts have up-to-date numberings.

--Todd