 CAD / 14553
Re: Another matrix inverse question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:39:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Brian Durney wrote:
Thanks for the information, everyone.  Although the test case I posted was
arbitrary, I did some other tests with matrices that were used for rotations and
translations.  The upper-left 3x3 seemed to be OK, but the bottom row had
problems.  I'm guessing that the inversion routine wasn't written to include
those.

I wanted the inverse so that I could move a part back to the origin and do
rotations in the local coordinate space.  I think that what I will do is keep an
inverse matrix with the transformation matrix, and every time I do a
transformation (like rotate 45 degrees around the X axis) I will do the inverse
(-45 degrees) and apply it to the inverse matrix.

I suppose another possibility is to transform the origin and/or axis of rotation
and then use quaternions to specify rotation around a point other than the
origin, but it seems like that would have more opportunities for mistakes,
considering my limited experience with quaternions.

Thanks again for the help.
Brian Durney

Quarternions are, IMO, a bad way to do what matrices do well.

For a rotation you don't need to (and shouldn't) calculate the inverse by a
routine. Just transpose (swap the off-diagonals) and you have the inverse.
There's no point running unneccessay numerical risks.

Tim