 CAD / 14351
14350  |  14352
Subject:
SketchUp LDraw Importer/Exporter Plugin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:48:05 GMT

Hello,

This post is to solicit input from the LDraw community about using SketchUp as a
part creator/model builder. I have working code for SketchUp to import.dat or
.ldr files; and also to export a group of parts as a model, or export geometry
as a part (or primitive.)

First I'd like to ask if anyone is interested in using such a plugin, and if
anyone is interested in testing, reviewing the code (Ruby language), and
generally helping me smooth out the rough spots (I'm a self-taught hobbyist.) I
posted about this (prematurely) some months ago, but haven't had time to get
back to it.

My first question about the use of the name LDraw. I need a name for the project
as a whole. SketchUp Ldraw Plugin?

One issue is platform compatibility. I would like the plugin to work on Windows
and Mac machines, but I don't have access to a Mac to test it.

The code will be open-source and available to all. I plan on setting up an
account on a site like RubyForge or Google Code for the project; mostly for the
version control features. I was also thinking of creating a Google Group for the
project

Any thoughts or comments welcome.

Thanks,

Jim