 CAD / 13697
13696  |  13698
Subject:
Factory Numbers ect.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:44:24 GMT

We have been having a discussion at the JLUG forum (proving that it is not
entirely about the demise of LUGNET as a posting option!) and have been
discussing the Lego #'s vice the LDraw numbers.  I have posted the following:

-
Well, if there was a way to translate parts lists into it without drawing a
complete model? That way, one could use Ldraw (ect) to make the model, and then
list the parts into LDD
-
I think it is possible, but it will depend on being able to repeatably correlate
3001=xx xxx, or ect. Then the price per piece has to be less than Brick Link,
otherwise it is somewhat a waste. Of course, the best would be a DB that
combines the BL average cost, the LDD price, the Lego Parks cost per Lb/number,
and then tells you which is best to buy from.
-
We looked at the (lego ref) numbers at NW Train Fest 2006. There is at least one
FULL version out there of the Lego coding.... That being said, now that Lego is
giving the part numbers, it may free up the DB to release.
-

Please Ambassadors, could you ask again for a full, internet accessable,
DATABASE type file for the LDD part/colour numbers, so that the community could
try and hack a conversion program together?  Without a DB, it is possible, but
it will require more work on our behalf to do so.  Now that Factory is more
useful to the community, it might help if we could get the part numbers.

If Lego cannot justify the cost to edit the mass of data it has as to part # to
a common file, how about releasing the paper list from its NDA's, and allowing
fandom to construct the database backwards from the paper lists?

James Powell