 CAD / 13601
13600  |  13602
Subject:
Useful Track and Electrical Data
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.cad, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:38:38 GMT

Regular browsers of Brickshelf might have noticed that I added a new track plans
section to my gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=160885

In the 9V folder http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=160903 there
are useful modules such as Curves
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=161242 and Double Bends
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=161394 , conforming to various
minimum radii depending on your chosen scale.  8-widers and 8mm:1ft or larger
scale builders sometimes prefer to have at least one or two straights between
each curve or switch point in order to avoid huge overhangs.  Curves and Double
Bends with at least two straights in between are in a "120ft compatible" folder
and those with at least one straight in between are in an "80ft compatible"
folder since I usually work to 1 stud to the foot.  Those with two curves
together are in a "40ft compatible" folder.

There are also Triangle Junctions
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=161399 and some other useful
junctions http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=161240 in the parent
folder.

You might find some of my doodled layouts
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=161691 interesting too.  Most of
them include crossings and some would be interesting for an attempt to run two
(robust) trains on the same track and see how long they can run without
colliding at right angles!

In the 12V folder http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=160910 is the
plan of the first layout that I exhibited at a big model railway show, back in
April 2001.  The crossovers between the two main lines and between the inner
circuit and the yard used self-made isolation rails.

The curves and double bends that I have posted do not necessarily line up with
whole multiples of 16 studs in both directions.  This is because some line up
better at multiples of 8 studs and if two are used the track can either return
to its original line or can line up at a multiple of 16.  Alternatively, the
larger modules of track line up approximately and with that many track sections
there is enough flexibility to make it fit with real track pieces.  I've tried
to show how well they line up by using crossings for measurement.  The smallest
example of a non-16-multiple is two curves each way, which moves the track line
approximately 56x24 studs and was illustrated in "Layout A" in the railway ideas
book 7777.

For those of us who like dabbling (or better) with electronics, here's my
interpretation of the train controller circuit:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1559700 .  I thought this could
quite easily be modified for RCX speed control (non-DCC) - perhaps a good use
for your RCX if you buy an NXT but aren't fussy about connecting the RCX and NXT
together.

I hope someone finds this a useful resource, even if some people have similar
stuff in their own galleries.  PLMKWYT!
Mark