 CAD / 13519
Re: Help Needed: How to generate high quality gif images from LDRAW parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:56:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Dustin Jones wrote:
   I’m trying to generate GIF images of the LDRAW library in many different colors, just like LUGNET’s PARTSREF. But, I can’t seem to generate high quality images.

This is what I’m aiming for: (from LUGNET’s PARTSREF)

And this what I’m generating:

I’m using LDAO with LDLITE 2.4 to generate the VEC (which are BMPs) and then using ImageMagick 6.2.5 to convert to GIFs.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Dustin

Hi Dustin,

First mistake using GIF. Use PNG (preferable) or JPG. GIF can only have 256 colours which means a lot of neat shading can get lost. A second piece of advice is generate the VEC at double size and then resize. Basically this would involve running through thes commands

Use ldlite to generate double size BMP convert -resize 50% PART.BMP PART.PNG

One further point. You probably want to use ldglite or ldview for your initial generation as they are newer than ldlite.

Tim