 CAD / 13358
Re: Technique for creating minifig heads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:26:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Edwin Pilobello wrote:
I just discovered that a minifig head is drawn by defining every feature on the
face as an Ldraw type.  So what's a good way to measure the points?  Does one
draw the facial features on graphing paper wrapped around a cylinder to scale?

I haven't done many heads (like, none that I remember).

Your approach could work.

Another approach would be to scan the part to make a 2D version of the pattern
(enlarged).  Then measure the (x,y) coordinates of the points, and project these
onto the facets of the head-cylinder to get the z values.

A scan wouldn't give you a true projection of the pattern onto a 2D surface, but
it would be reasonably close -- good enough to work with.

Steve