 CAD / 12782
Re: Orientation in PLI and BOM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2005 15:27:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jaco van der Molen wrote:
Though I added part 3829 Car Steering Wheel to the ORIENTATION.LDR file in the
extra's folder of LPub, the part shows up wrong in the PLI and BOM:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sjaacko/Temp/1088_0_05_parts.png

Is this a bug? Or did I do something wrong?
I added it like this:

1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 3829.DAT

And expect it to display in the PLI and BOM like the steer on the right in the
image above...

Jaco

This is a tough situation Jacko.

If you look at LEGO PLI's you'll notice the orientation of a technic brick.  The
left end of the brick is rendered lower than the right end of the brick.

Now look at the orientation of the same brick in the lower left panel of MLcad.
Notice that the left end of the brick is *higher* than the right end.

This says the default view angle of MLCad, combined with the orientation in
which the parts are defined, the default orientation of most parts is
*different* than those of LEGO.

If you notice in the Building Instructions -> PLI/BOM tab, that LPub's Camera
Globe Coordinates are *different* than those of MLCad.  This difference makes
the majority of the parts switch from the wrong orientation to the *right*
orientation.

ORIENTATION.LDR lets us deal with the minority of the parts.  Given the
discrepancy between MLCad and LPub's part view angle, placing the part in MLCad
does not give you the view angle you will see in PLIs and BOMs.

In this case, you need to turn your steering wheel 180 degrees to get it viewed
correctly in PLIs.

An alternative for LPub would be to have the view angle in LPub match the view
angle in MLCad.  This would require the bulk of the parts to be in
ORIENTATION.LDR.

I chose to have ORIENTATION.LDR handle the minority case.  Mine was not a
perfect solution, but there was no perfect solution.

Kevin