 CAD / 12429
12428  |  12430
Subject:
Parts authoring made easy!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:31:05 GMT

After a couple of days of coding fun, I finally have the
ASE to LDR file converter working. It is still not tested
for more than a few input files, so there may still be nasty
bugs I haven't found, but to my own surprise, it seemed to
work right off the bat at first compilation for my chosen
test cases, from simple boxes and spheres to a quite complex
shape (a teapot).

The converter is a command-line utility. I compiled it for
Windows, because that's the platform where I have all my LDraw
and 3D modeling software, but it's written in ANSI C in a very
general way and should compile without changes also under Linux
and MacOS, although I haven't tested that.

Details and my first complicated LDR conversion test
(a teapot converted to LDR format, viewable with utilities
like LDView or MLCad) may be found here:

http://www.itn.liu.se/~stegu/lego/ase2dat/

Full source code is included. This is free software, and
you are free to use it and develop it further under the
conditions of the GNU GPL software license.

Some features are still missing, like sub-part identification
and replacement, and some may never be added, but I will do
some further development of this myself in the near future.
If you have any suggestions for additional features, bug
reports, offers to help or general questions, feel free to
either post followups here or mail me in person.