 CAD / 12391
12390  |  12392
Subject:
LPub vertical plate murk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:03:03 GMT

I’m using LPub for a project and have been perplexed a bit by the image quality difference between rendering the “Complete Assembly” vs the “Instruction Images”.

It might be the same issue as in this thread: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=11895

For vertical grey plates, the studs looked very murky and dim in the instructions but nice and crisp in the complete image.

I tried messing around with the “Custom Lights” in the “Lights” tab to try to fix this, but the instruction images didn’t respond to the lighting like the complete image. (Also the “Ambient” choice seems to be broken in the generated .pov file due to a lack of a semicolon.)

So I did a compare of the .pov files in the two cases and found that the instruction images use a different camera position *and* individual object rotation matrices vs the complete image. This makes the effect of lighting quite different.

I merged the “Complete Assembly” generated .pov file camera over to the “Instruction Image” generated .pov file and verified that the view can’t be made the same because the individual objects are rotated.

So I think I can deal with this by using a local “config.lpb” file with a different lighting position when I’m rendering the Instruction Images.

Is there a better fix other than having two config files?

Setting “L3P->Camera->Position and Orientation” so the complete assembly view matches the instruction images won’t work because the parts themselves are rotated. (Actually I don’t understand why the parts need to be rotated for the steps, since I’m not using ROTSTEP. Can’t the view angle be set just by the camera, the usual 3D paradigm?)

BC