 CAD / 12359
Re: About official LEGO models "CAD library"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:09:51 GMT

Orion Pobursky wrote:
Yes, this project is alive but since LDraw is a volunteer organization, work
tends to slow down a bit in the fall and winter due to school starting,
vacations ending, and the holidays.  Rest assured that it will be created and
the moment it is ready for the public I will annouce it here.

Sorry for the delay in replying to this, I'm catching up on post
holiday newsgroups.

Once it's up and going I can probably provide a few models for it.
I did the whole of Classic Space in Leocad a few years back and I
believe Leocad has a LDraw export option.

http://www.marutan.net/arcsite/lego/index.php
http://leocad.gerf.org/models/old/models.htm

They would certainly need some sort of review before people took
them as gospel. There was a bug in Leocad (since fixed) where the
rotation of some pieces looks fine in Leocad, but when rendered
in Povray pieces appears the wrong way round. See these for an
example.

http://leocad.gerf.org/models/old/6846.gif
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/flibble/space/6846-zero15.jpg

Also, sometimes I would substitute a non patterned part for
patterned one, if the part wasn't in the parts library yet.

It sounds an interesting idea, but will someone check with
Lego that they are OK with this? They've not had a go at
me over it in the past, but that's not really conclusive :)

Peter

ps I also have lots of half finished models that I stopped
    working on, due to missing parts. Lots of these parts
    have now been made, so I'll have to finish them :)