 CAD / 11969
11968  |  11970
Subject:
Anyone know Brick Builder?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:11:43 GMT

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been discussed before (I tried a search, but all it came up with were posts by Bert Giesen!). At the LDraw presentation at SIGGRAPH 04, someone in the audience asked whether LDraw could take a 3D model created in another program and create building instructions from it. Now (LPRIZE notwithstanding) I was pretty sure the answer to this was “no”.

But I was positive I’d seen something like that earlier at LLCA. I’d gone to see the Master Model Builders’ finals, and there was a booth there manned by members of the Arts Institutes - the MMB search co-sponsor. In the booth was a step-by-step video showing how LEGO designers could take something designed digitally and reproduce it in brick.. It was a sculpture, like a pig or a trophy or something (I’m remembering it as being NFL-related).

Well, while flipping through an old sketchbook I found some of the notes I took from that day, and evidently the program was/is called Brick Builder. Assuming I took good notes, it had the ability to take polygon mesh models and turn them into layer-by-layer brick models. My notes also state revisions could be done to the mesh model (using other programs such as Maya or 3DS) with updates happening automatically in the brick model. If I recall correctly, LEGO sent personnel to the Art Institutes for training in 3DStudio MAX just for this purpose..

Does anyone remember seeing something like this as well, and if so, whatever became of it? Was this something just for internal LEGO use? Anyone here connected with LEGO ever play with it?

Darrell