 CAD / 11905
11904  |  11906
Subject:
config.lpb vs. metacommands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:15:57 GMT

Hi all,
  I've got LPub using PNG for building instructions.  The translucency is really
cool.  I've got it so that you can provide no background (transparent), solid
color, or image as a backdrop (for page, PLI and callouts).  You can either tile
or stretch the image if the image size is not the same as the target size (page,
PLI, callout).

  I've added the concept of page size, so you can place the PLI, step number,
callouts, and assembly image relative to page boundaries.

  I've also fixed a bunch of bugs.... single part in a step is drawn grey
(workaround for L3P bug), buffer exchange greying problem, problems with scale
(you can now get consistant scale between assembly image and PLI parts).

  I also simplified the part image caching.  There is now only one part image
cache directory.  It contains a file that describes the settings used to create
the images.  When LPub needs to render a part image, it checks its own current
part image rendering settings against those in the cache.  If the cache settings
are different, the cache is erased.

  I'd like to move as much information from config.lpb to the design's DAT or
LDR file or ldconfig.ldr, possibly eliminating config.lpb.  Moving all the
controls to the design file is complicated.  The LPub GUI lets you edit
config.lbp, but if we put all the configuration stuff in the LDraw design file,
LPub is suddenly editing the LDraw design file.  LPub has specific control over
config.lpb, yet this is not true for the LDraw file.

  Let's pick an example.... lets say we put the POV rendering settings for PLI
into LDraw META commands. The user could put multiple versions of this meta
command in at different places to achieve specific effects.  The GUI only
provides one version of this in config.lpb.  LPub would not know which instance
of the META command to edit.

  It is starting to look like LPub needs to become an editor for layout.

  Is there a summary for ldconfig.ldr?  I looked on LDraw.org and did not find
one.

Kevin