 CAD / 11726
Re: Hard to find parts and part names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:07:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Don Heyse wrote:
   That one is hard for me to find because it’s listed as a minifig accessory, while many of the others seem to be listed as minifig tools.

Beats me why. Seems more like a tool to me. Maybe it doesn’t come on a tool ring? Actually I guess it’s both an accessory and a tool, like accessory book, accessory armor, accessory sword, and the others. Why is minifig tool not minifig accessory tool?

In LDraw, we don’t put accessory in part titles, at least partly because of the 64-character limit on titles. And because the extra word in the title almost always results in a name that’s more awkward to read/use, without really adding any more information.

And minifig tools are a subset of minifig accessories.

‘Minifig tool’ is used inconsistently because it’s been loosely managed over time - for a while, it looked like all the minifig accessory parts were going to be sub-classified into things like utensils, tools, and weapons. But we’ve backed off from that. So there are still some “tools”, but not all “tools” are labeled as “tools”.

   Another hard to find part is the castle goblet (2343). It doesn’t even have Minifig in the partname. http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2343. As a non native english speaking person, a goblet is not a word I use much. The part is used in other themes than castle as well.

Look at the updated version on the Parts Tracker. http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/2343.dat :)

These days, almost no parts should be in the Castle category - if anyone has decently, standardized names for parts 6072 and 6066, let’s hear them.

Steve