 CAD / 10427
Re: Configuring the .ldr mime-type in Windows XP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:15:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
Does anyone know how to configure the application/x-ldraw mime
type in Windows XP?  This tutorial works for Windows 98 and I
think it's close enough for 2000, but naturally M$ made it even
harder for XP.

  http://www.ldraw.org/reference/tutorials/tips/mime/

I even tried some old command line functions that I think used
to work, but no luck.

  FTYPE ldraw.document=C:\projects\ldglite.exe -l3 -v4 "%1"
  ASSOC .dat=ldraw.document
  ASSOC .mpd=ldraw.document
  ASSOC .ldr=ldraw.document
  SET PATHEXT=.ldr;.mpd;.dat;%PATHEXT%

Any ideas?

Don

Do this

-Right click on an .ldr file

-Choose "Open With" and if there is a submenu select "Choose Program..."

-If the program you want to open the file with isn't in the list provided
use the Browse buttom to find it.

-Make sure the "Always use the selected program to open this type of file"
check box is unchecked (unless of course you want to change the default
program for .ldr files)

-Click OK and the selected program should run

-Repeat for all the programs with which you want to open .ldr files.

When you right click on a file the Open command opens the file with the
default program and the Open With submenu should have the other programs
you selected.

Actually I think that does about the same thing as the command line
functions above.  The problem is that's only half of the solution.
Lugnet serves up LDR data with the application/x-ldraw MIME type.  In
win95 and win98 you could create new MIME types in explorer.  See
steps 5 and 6 of the tutorial.

  http://www.ldraw.org/reference/tutorials/tips/mime/

But win2k and winXP only let you select from the list of MIME types
already in the registry.  I suppose they must consider it a security
risk to allow mere mortals to make new ones.  Anyhow, silly me.  It
turns out I solved this one myself two years ago when I first
encountered win2K.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=5598

I guess I should have done a search before asking, but it was getting
late.

Don