 Boats / 573
Re: F/V Northwestern (from 'Deadliest Catch')
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 02:07:42 GMT

In lugnet.town, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
   In lugnet.announce.moc, Dave Sterling wrote:
   Northwestern was built in 1977 at Marco Shipyard in Seattle, WA. She was originally 108 feet in length overall. The vessel was built specifically for the King and Tanner crab fisheries of Alaska’s Bering Sea. In 1981 there was a collapse of the King crab fishery so the boat stayed busy fishing Tanner crab. In the early-80’s, Northwestern was one of the first boats to fish Opilio crab. The Opilio crab fishery turned out to be the “bread and butter” fishery for the entire crab fleet. Opilio fishing lead to over-capitalization of the fishery overall with several new boats being built at that time.

During the 1980’s, the vessel stayed busy all year long fishing Opilio crab 6-8 months (January-August), Blue King crab in the Pribilof Islands (August), Red King Crab (September),Brown and Red King Crab (November-December) out West on the Aleutian chain. Even though the vessel was very busy year-round, the crew always made it home for Christmas.

In 1987, rather than buying a new boat, the family decided to have Northwestern lengthened to 118 feet in order to pack more crab and increase the vessels stability and ability to carry more gear (crab pots). The vessel went from 156 pots maximum to 200 pots maximum.

In 1991 there was a “pot limit” introduced to the Alaskan crab fishery. This prompted the family to have the boat lengthened to 125 feet in order to attain the maximum pot limit of 250 pots per vessel.

This MOC features a working pot launcher, sorting table, pots, crane and picking hook, and (of course) crabs. In addition, there is a “Sig Hansen” minifig in the wheelhouse.

More pictures are available on my Brickshelf page and on my MOCPages page.

-Dave

ToT-LUG

Neat ship (and interesting TV series). Looks great with the blue baseplates under it.

x-posted to lugnet.boats. Please consider your FUT, since some here are FUT·less about that sort of thing.
They will be replying here soon, no doubt. :P

Cheers,
“Big Daddy” Nelson

Wow. We have a lugnet.boats? Guess I should look at the various newsgroup names more. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post to lugnet.boats before. I learn something new everyday. Thanks!

-Dave

ToT-LUG