 Boats / 279
Re: Cross setion of the SSN
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:15:15 GMT

In lugnet.build.military, Scott Sanburn writes:
Rick & All,

Lookie. People who have been on a sub can comment if they want :-P

Looks about right. I was in the U.S.S. Bowfin (a WW2 Sub) that is near the
U.S.S. Missouri ship in Pearl Harbor, and it was an absolute pain for me to
try to manuever in that thing! (Since I am a rather big guy) My video of the
events was funny to see. But it was a great experience to see.

   Heh, did you get to hear the story about why, among the "scorecard"
   on the tower, there's a bus and a crane standing on a dock...?
   I hope one day to get to Pearl to see that, among other things;
   we had the _Bowfin_ book in our house when I was growing up.

   _Bowfin_ is an "improved Gato" class sub, so its dimensions are a
   *tad* more cramped than on an attack sub, because the reactor needs
   more vertical room than the diesels and batteries on the WWII units.
   I think Rick's cross-section is a pretty good approximation of the
   interior space.  But the actual subs, IIRC, have a double hull, plus
   room for ballast.

   Now, 'boomers are another matter--those missile tubes need LOTS of
   vertical space, so those ships are friggin' ENORMOUS--a guy I knew
   back at EMU had served on one and said "think shopping center,"
   which I'd bet is a slight exaggeration but not *too* much.

   best

   LFB

   PS:  I almost forgot--there's a WWII US sub sitting on the Michigan
   side of Lake Michigan, near Holland MI--USS Silversides.  Also worth
   a visit, and you can see a lot more of it than you can most "tourist"
   subs.  I happened by late one evening when they were hosting a private
   group, so the OIC let us on too to look around at our leisure.  :D