 Boats / 169
Re: Curved Bow
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:24:22 GMT

Erin Windross wrote:

In lugnet.boats, Alan Gerber writes:
I've found a good way to make curved bows, like on the Titanic.  Take a heck • of
a lot of 1x2 bircks, build two walls of the same length, attach them at a 90
degree angle, then bend the wall to attach to two other walls, to make
the curved walls.  (I make no sense, do I?)
Alan

The problem with that is that making a forecastle deck would be almost
impossible. I still prefer the basic brick steps.

I'm still a fan of using the 1x4/2x2 brick hinge to simulate the bow--I'm
experimenting with four-section variable curve bows, but I don't have the
construction room to build it up as I'd like (I had a 48-wide ship that was doing
OK).  So I've returned to the 32-wide pattern with a single-bend bow--but I may
amend this to toe it out a bit.

See:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/oldhull.jpg

for the only pic I have of the two-bend 48-wide prow.  If done well, you can
still get support for the walls, and build up a honeycomb that will support the
foc's'le deck.

best

Lindsay