 Belville / 478
477  |  479
Subject:
Royal Crystal Palace 5850
Newsgroups:
lugnet.belville
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:07:34 GMT

Wow. Received 5850 today, a bit faster than I thought. Apparently 5837 is also
on its way. First reactions: This is one huge box! Came by UPS. I guess US
postal service does not like boxes that big. The CRAPP takes up a lot of the
space. Set includes another Belville wordless "book" featuring the new
characters. Makes it clear that the Vanilla on the sled is a different princess
from the one in the palace. Flora does not appear in book. I guess she is not
part of the winter scene. Catalog only shows 2002 sets with Harry Potter on
back.
Except for a yellow hanger and the black breeches the guys are wearing,
this is the first LEGO Systems set that I can recall that has no LEGO
traditional colors whatsoever other than white! More of the lovely periwinkle
blue that first appeared with the Fairy queen set #5825. One stand in the dark
almost purple blue. Lots of transluscent blue. The one full-height quarter
round is the ice rink! The king looks pretty cool. This is the first set with a
blond boy. All previous "boys" have had either brown or black hair. A small
number of 1X bricks in a pale turquoise. I am not sure I have seen that color
before but it looks good. The table top is in the older dark rose color. The
orange decks definitely clash with the rest of the color scheme.
Will have to get this one built tomorrow, but I already see more
possibilities with this set than the original palace. Fortunately I have lots
of white brisks.:-) Cheers, WES