 Basic / 133
Re: My X-Pod Creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.basic
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:12:25 GMT

In lugnet.basic, David Laswell wrote:
The beetle (is that a stag-horn?) looked like the one from
the instructions, but I see now that it's not the case.  I somewhat
prefer their fatter body design, but you leg design is much better
(using hinge pieces on the pincer-feet is a waste of good parts if you
have to use slope bricks for the last two).

I originally wanted to make a rhinoceros beetle, but then I ran out of parts
from 4349 to make a convincing horn for it.

If you stack the orange 2x3 wedge on top of the red 2x4 wedge, you can get a
thicker wing shell with a nice two-color scheme. However, I failed to make a
good body contour with this design. Maybe I should try again.

I actually like Lego's leg design from the instructions. It may not be suitable
for a beetle, but if you take a look at
<http://tolweb.org/tree?group=Arthropoda>, you will see that many critters have
that kind of legs, for example, mites and lice.

On the other hand, I cannot figure out which end of Lego's bug is the head and
which is the tail. What do you think?

The scorpion is a wonderfully unusual choice for the Robo-pod, but I
think it'd look stingy-er if you replaced the 2x2 slope with the black
jumper plate and one of the 1x2 slopes.

What a good idea! Thanks.

My favorite, though, has to be the dragon.  Everyone seems keen on
the idea of making western dragons (probably because the wedge pieces
make good wings), but I hadn't even considered the possibility of making
an easter dragon with that selection of parts.  It reminds me a lot of
Mushu from Mulan.

I discovered that the hinge pieces make a nice pair of stag horns, albeit in a
wrong color, so I proceeded and made a dragon with them. Then I ran out of parts
to make a good, hinged body, let alone the menacing claws. The part selection of
the X-Pods can be very frustrating.

A bunch of mini-figs can staff the dragon on sticks and walk it in a new year
parade.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions,

Hao-yang Wang