 Aquazone / 4
3  |  5
Subject:
Aquazone Piping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:37:54 GMT

Lego seems to be developing new elements at a fast pace.  I estimate that
more than 50 new pieces have been appearing each year for the last four or
five years.

Some of the best new pieces that TLG has created are the octagonal Aquazone
piping.  They come in five variations so far.  All are 2x2 with differing
heights and have hollow center in which rod system pieces will fit but not
technic cross-axles.
1.  vertical column, octagonal, no side studs
2.  vertical column, octagonal, 2x4 side studs
3.  vertical column, octagonal, with elbow, no studs, tubes at both ends
(female)
4.  offset column, octagonal [may be called zig zag piece]
5.   cone piece, octagonal

Because of the Aquazone piping, I own nearly all of the Aquanauts,
Aquasharks, Aquaraiders, and Stingrays sets (no Hydronauts since I do not
like the sets).  My favorite set for this reason is 6135 Spy Shark since it
contains four octagonal columns with side studs, two octagonal offsets, and
two octagonal cones.  When this set was in stores, I bought eight copies and
have since acquired more.

Aquazone is a great theme (excepting Hydronauts) and there are great
possibilities if only TLG would continue this line.  One of the best sets to
premiere in 1995 was set 6195 Neptune Discovery Lab.

The octagonal Aquazone piping has endless building possibilities in every
theme (except perhaps Pirate).  My most common use for these elements is as
both horizontal and vertical pipe systems in Town industrial settings, such
as my Octan oil refinery and in construction sites.  Some day I plan to
build a tank car filling platform for 9volt trains using the piping overhead
to move bulk product from storage tanks to the rail cars.  If anyone has
done this and has photographs, I would like to see them.

    Kevin Salm
    ....The greatest fan of the Gray Lego brick....