 Aquazone / 348
Re: 2 Small Aquazone MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:14:17 GMT

In lugnet.aquazone, Felix Greco writes:

1. Mantallica (sea glider)
2. Bad Clam (sentry pod)

Sweet.  I like how you were able to combine the look of a stingray with the
minifig suit.  Seems like a nice way to sneak into Stingray camps ala
Ulysses and the Cyclops (obscure reference?).

Felix

These models were actually designed to compete with the Aquasharks (before
there were Lego Bad-guy Stingrays.)  As a matter of fact, I never collected
any of the later Aqauzone sets.  I basically had all the vehicles from the
1st generation. (The Hydronaut and Stingray sets didn't appeal to me)

In keepig with the Lego established narrative of competition for crystals:

The Manta-style "sea glider" was designed as a stealthy high speed scout
vehicle with a crystal grabbing arm or Magnet for quick retreival of those
orange crystal storage containers.  It was supposed to be faster than the
Aqaushark's Spy Shark or Predator.  My concept for this transport was that
it could be remote piloted from a main sub or independently piloted by an
attached diver.  The picture doesn't show the dual hinged Joystick controls
on either side of the pilot.  The stud on the diving gear affixes the diver
to the vehicle, the control sticks are attached to those small 3 toothed
hinged rods.

The "Bad Clam" was supposed to be a rugged patrol vehicle, deployed to
protect explorers or cystal excavation teams from Aquasharks and hostile
sea-life.  I wanted to try a vehicle with a "standing" pilot instead of the
usual seated design.  The cockpit a wide visual field for patrolling, hence
the blue glass cockpit.  I wanted it to look less sleek, armored, meaner,
and bulkier than other Aqauzone sets or craft.

Glad you all enjoyed them...I have better Aquazone MOCs around here
somewhere.  I figured I would share these to show how I experimented with
this theme many years ago.  I really liked this theme (especially the
original sets)...I am sorry there is no more Aquazone.

                            John