 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 711
710  |  712
Subject:
Big Red Rocket
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:21:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

No backstory this time--just bricks!
I have posted pics of my Galaxy Cruiser at:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=29502 (when moderated)

She's very old-school, launching vertically,

and landing horizontally.

Personal Transport Shuttles (PTSs) launch out of the nose.

The topmost deck houses three PTSs, hangar control, and storage.

The middle deck houses the galley/observation lounge, captain's quarters and
conference room, crew quarters, and a bit more storage.

The lowest deck houses the bridge, main control, and engineering.

The tail houses the power core.

Larger, more detailed versions of the pics (for you bandwidth freaks) are in
the subfolder:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=29503 (when moderated)

A few construction notes:
Six (?) years ago, I was trying to build a big space thing using only bricks.
(Tubs were the latest rage.)  I wanted to make a de-luxe apartment in the sky.
The Galaxy Cruiser was born out of a first draft of Spacely Towers (turned on
its side, natch), and was completed before I did the Spacely interior.  One
version featured a 17-wide interior that rolled out of a rigid hull.  Thanks to
about a dozen black brick hinges (and a complete rebuild), the hull now splits
open and the (larger, redesigned) decks can be removed one at a time.

I had no idea how to cap the thing.  That the 10x10x12 quarter-domes fit so
neatly is pure coincidence.  Fitting the bridge into them was probably the most
fun part of the whole project.  Almost running out of red 1x3s was the scariest.

Overall, I get a vaguely Flash Gordon impression, but I don't think we'll be
attacking bad old Ming anytime soon.

The structure is remarkably strong--the hull is little more than a big stack of
bricks.  The only major reinforcement is needed at a tight corner where the
tail connects to the main structure: here I pegged on some long technic beams
to hold the tail on (otherwise the bricks separate and the tail plops off).

The Galaxy Cruiser arrived in its form as photographed four years ago (give or
take).  This past spring, I reversed some compartments and optimized the second
deck to make the conference room considerably larger, all so I could install a
cooler table.  The officers and crew were delighted; unfortunately, they
promptly got blotto and absconded with my photos.

Enjoy!