 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 650
MOC: Kestrel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:29:11 GMT

let's get the links out of the way first.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DoctorDevice/Super-G/Kestrel/111-1114_img.jpg
<--- deep links are 1114-1118, 1120-1129

acting on the assumption that somebody might actually read this, here goes
the little backstory...

the Kestrel is more typical of Super-G racers. most pilots, for the sake of
safety (since one rarely walks away from a mach-4 collision with anything),
mount at least two engines on their racers. the kestrel began it's life as
an astrodyne KX-440 "Kestrel" light aerospace fighter. when these machines
were decomissioned, some enterprising individuals bought what they could.
the cockpit and tail assembly are mostly original, as are the wings,
although they've been reoriented to better suit the unique conditions of
Super-G. due to space constraints, the Kestrel only has semi-retracting
landing gear, with the nosewheel fixed, and the rear wheels retracting
behind aerodynamic shrouds mounted under the wings. power comes from two
Ravenhurst G-20 Atmospheric Reactor engines, fitted with vector fins. backup
power is supplied by Astrodyne-44 Plasma thrusters, mounted above the wings,
and outboard of theirrespective generators. the Kestrel is by no means a
unique or excessively successful Racer, though it has won some small races.

LMKWYT, even if WYT is "that's the worst creation I've ever seen". I want to
improve here, but I can't if every creation is overlooked. tell me what you
like about it, what you hate about it, what should be tweaked or changed,
give me some feedback, please.

-Anthony, Unsung Master of Mediocre Models