 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4600
4599  |  4601
Subject:
Texas State Railroad Engine #201
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2011 05:41:59 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Gallery

Texas State Railroad Ten Wheeler (4-6-0) Engine #201.

From the TSRR Website:

Engine number 201 is the oldest locomotive operated on the line. This engine was built in 1901 by the A.L. Cooke Locomotive Works for the Texas & Pacific Railway, and is the only operating T&P steam locomotive in existence. The engine was built for freight service and proudly wore the number 316 during its career with the Texas & Pacific.

Engine 201 is classified as a 4-6-0. This means that it has four wheels in the front, six drivers in the middle and no wheels in the rear of the engine. This type of locomotive is commonly referred to as a “ten wheeler.”

In 1949, after years of hard service, the Texas & Pacific sold number 316 to the Paris & Mt. Pleasant Railroad, a T&P subsidiary. In 1951 the locomotive was saved from the scrapper’s torch by a remarkable lady who wished to remain anonymous. She purchased the engine and, with the help from the T&P, donated it to the city of Abilene in honor of its seventy-fifth anniversary as a city.

The venerable ten wheeler remained on display in Abilene at the Oscar Rose Park for many years, wearing the number 75 to symbolize the seventy-fifth Jubilee Celebration of the City.

In 1974 the citizens of Abilene graciously donated the locomotive to the newly formed Texas State Railroad. After extensive repair and refurbishing, the engine was again rolling down the rails to thrill a new generation of train passengers.

The 201 was recently refurbished and unveiled during October 2006 and is currently used during steam excursions at the Texas State Railroad.

This is the fifth of five steam engines of the Texas State Railroad I have constructed. She is currently powered by a single 9v motor, but eventually I will be upgrading her to power functions, with a single power functions train motor replacing the 9v motor.

I will be taking photos of all of the TSRR LEGO locomotives together, for the first time, sometime later this week.

--Tony