 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4454
4453  |  4455
Subject:
The Lindbergh Special "The Train That Raced A Plane"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 03:00:11 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The Lindbergh Special “The Train That Raced A Plane”

When celebrated pioneer aviator Charles Lindbergh returned to the United States on June 11, 1927 following his successful solo transatlantic flight from New York City to Paris, he was greeted by President Calvin Coolidge in Washington, DC and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. There was intense competition between several newsreel companies to be the first to get footage of the ceremony back to New York to show in the Broadway theaters. Several companies chartered aircraft, but the International News Reel Corporation instead chartered a special train from the Pennsylvania Railroad.

E6s Atlantic #460 was selected as the locomotive, B60B baggage car #7874 was equipped as a mobile darkroom to process the film on rout, and P70 coach #3301 brought up the train to carry PRR and newsreel company officials. The crew were given permission to run as fast as they considered safe. And run they did.

The train made it to the electric changeover at Manhattan Transfer with an average speed of 74 mph (119 km/h), a record never beaten by steam on that journey, and with a reported maximum speed of 115 mph (185 km/h). The newsreels brought by train reached the cinema screens and beat those flown to New York by over an hour, due to the delay the latter experienced to process the film. The Pennsylvania Railroad used this victory extensively in publicity in the following years.

This train has been a work in progress since 2007. The original #460 and the first version of the cars made their public appearance at Brickworld 2007. But I was always changing and improving the design so I’ve never posted the whole train until now. I think I’m finally happy with it.

The full Lindbergh Special

The Real #460

The LEGO #460

PRR B60b Baggage Car