 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4130
4129  |  4131
Subject:
GP-9 Locomotive & 136-Stud Truss Bridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 03:12:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Just finished up a couple new Train MOC’s this week and figured I’d share with the community. First up is my take on the EMD GP-9. The EMD GP9 is a 4-axle diesel locomotive built by General Motors Electro-Motive Division between January 1954 and August 1963. Power was provided by an EMD 567C 16-cylinder engine which generated 1,750 horsepower. This locomotive type was offered both with and without control cabs; locomotives built without control cabs were called GP9B locomotives. The GP9B locomotives were built between February 1954 and December 1959.

3,436 examples of this locomotive model were built for American railroads, 646 were built for Canadian railroads and 10 were built for Mexican railroads. Five units were built for a railroad in Brazil. Of the GP9B, 165 examples were built for American railroads.

Many rebuilt GP9s remain in service today with shortline railroads and industrial operators. Some remain in rebuilt form on some major Class I railroads, or as switcher locomotives. Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Railway still have many in their fleets in 2007 as switcher locomotives.

Not to toot my own horn here, but I’m actually particularly proud of the way I managed to put a drop-out at the steps at each end. I like this better than the way the official BNSF GP-38 was done.

More of the GP-9 pictures can be found here.

Also, I received my Bricklink order last week and finished up my truss bridge for Brickworld 2008. The bridge is 136-studs long and is self-supporting. You can read the original bridge thread here.

More Bridge Pictures

That’s all I have for now. I’ve got a couple more MOC’s in the works I need to get done before the La Crosse Model Train Show on March 8-9. And then it’s a mad dash to get ready for Brickworld in June. Should be fun!

-Dave