 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3657
3656  |  3658
Subject:
More military MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 08:28:54 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Greetings all,

Here are a few more military vehicles I've built recently.

The Raider and Invader light armored vehicles rely on their size, low profile,
and speed to keep their crew safe - their armor will defeat small arms and
shrapnel, but offers little protection against cannons and anti-armor weapons.
Because they are lightly armored, they are better suited to infantry support and
lightning fast attacks rather than large-scale offensive or defensive maneuvers
against enemy heavily-armored units.

Both vehicles have suspension and accessible engine compartments. It is worth
noting that even though I've managed to build my armored vehicles smaller than
ever before, they are still scalewise a little too tall to be true minifig
scale.

The Raider light airmobile amphibious tank:

The Raider light tank is designed to be as compact as possible, to allow it to
be airlifted into a combat zone to arrive at the battlefield with the first wave
of infantry, or even if need be, to be dropped behind enemy lines. It has the
standard crew of three (commander, driver, gunner) and mounts as heavy a cannon
as a light tank will take, alongside smoke grenade launchers and a machine gun.
The turret is easily removable and I’ve included a rear door so as to facilitate
future modification if need be.  The Raider was inspired by various light tanks,
including the British Scorpion.

The Invader airmobile amphibious infantry fighting vehicle:

Like the Raider, the invader is designed with quick deployment in mind. Despite
its compact size, it carries six fully armed troops in the back as well as a two
man crew. Both the driver and commander can operate the weapons systems in the
remote control turret. Its arsenal comprises an autocannon, a machine gun,
anti-armor missiles, anti-aircraft missiles, and smoke grenade launchers, making
it a formidable foe indeed. The Invader was my attempt at a sort of modernized
Russian BMD sort of vehicle. It is my first vehicle with a remote turret, and
while that is sort of way around the challenge of building a compact manned
turret, it isn't at all unrealistic - the German Puma is the first IFV with a
remote turret to go into full production, but will surely not be the last.

I've also built two more turrets to put on the Gladiator chassis/hull to
effectively create two new vehicles. The Samurai and Beserker can be considered
to be a class "heavier" than the Raider and Invader, and are thus a little
slower and more time consuming to deploy, but have better survivability on the
battlefield. While the Gladiator has a manned turret, both of these are remote
turrets operated from inside the vehicle:

The Samurai multi role fighting vehicle:

Armed with two autocannons, two grenade launchers and two batteries of
anti-armor missiles, the Samurai can take on any opponent on the modern
battlefield. The remote control turret is controlled from inside the vehicle. In
the event that the Samurai encounters more than one opponent, its weapons
systems can divide in two, each engaging a different target. The crew inside
comprises a driver, commander, gunner, and ammunition handler who handles the
weapons systems alongside the gunner if needed. The Samurai was inspired by the
Russian  BMP-T tank support fighting vehicle.

The Beserker anti-aircraft defense vehicle:

The "Rubin" eight-barrel gattling gun packs a terrific punch and can tear apart
pretty much any aircraft it manages to hit. Its ferocious rate of fire coupled
with the radar guidance system makes it ideal for defeating low flying aircraft
at short-to-medium range. While its main role is air defense, there is nothing
stopping it from being used against targets on the ground (or at sea). When
firing armor piercing shells, only the thickest tank armor has a chance of
keeping an enemy crew safe from the Beserker. The crew of four comprises a
commander, driver, gunner, and radar operator. The Beserker was inspired by the
US M 163 Vulcan Air Defense System, and various other self propelled air defense
systems.

PLMKWYT!

Magnus