 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3079
3078  |  3080
Subject:
Microscale USS Fletcher Class Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.loc.se, lugnet.build.military
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:31:22 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all fans of ship models!

Some preview photos are now available on Brickshelf of my latest creation.

The design is inspired by Daniel Siskind's innovative method of constructing the
hull.

http://news.lugnet.com/build/military/?n=1179

By using 1x2x1 panels and 1x2 plates the hull sides become flexible and can be
bent to a smooth shape without steps. The only problem is forming the bow in
realistic way especially in the small scale I have chosen.

I wanted to use a small scale in order to model a series of warships to the same
scale, and to do it without buying large amounts of expensive grey parts. It
also a inspiring challenge to create a small model. I have studied the Lego
parts inventory carefully to find useful small parts. A lot of minifigs utensils
and other small parts together with 1x1 or 1x2 tiles and plates are included in
the design.

I have tried to form a main deck with the correct shape that fits well with the
hull sides. The deck is only 6 studs wide. To decrease the deck width fore and
aft in steps of 1 stud was not a acceptable solution, instead I have used hinge
plates to decrease the deck width continuously and some tricky building to form
the bow and stern. More detailed pictures will be up soon on Brickshelf when
moderated you will find the pictures here

SNOT is used for the funnels (upside down) and they are also leaning slightly
backwards. The old hinge plates are useful to solve this problem. There is also
a lot of half stud transitions in order to center the 2,3 and 4 stud wide
superstructure.

The scale is around 1:250 which is half the size compared with my earlier
attempt to model the same ship.

My original idea was to update the USS Fletcher in the larger 1:125 scale but
the outcome was this smaller version - I hope you like it.

Comments are most welcome!!

Mattias

PS. I had a disc breakdown a couple of days ago and lost all my email-addresses
and the Ldraw-datfiles of my MOC aircraft (BF-109, P51-Mustang, FW-190 and the
Spitfire). If anyone of  have got a copy from me and still have it Please send
me copy back!